On November 21st – the anniversary of .blog’s general launch to the public – we’re celebrating three years of bringing our favorite gTLD to the world. We love to use our anniversary as an opportunity to reflect on how far we’ve come and how far we’re planning to go in the next year.
If we had to pick one word to describe .blog up until now, it would be quality. When we contemplate the past 365 days, the outstanding quality of the .blog TLD is what we’re most proud of.
We have been, and remain, very focused on .blog as a domain extension that garners high usage rates from its users. In other words, for each .blog domain that is registered, our primary goal is to see that domain used by its owner on a unique, active site. For .blog resellers, high usage rates often come with higher renewal rates – another data point strengthening the quality of .blog
Today, according to Pandalytics, over 60% of all .blog domains are unique sites. There are real people (or businesses!) behind the domains, producing content for readers, building communities, and sharing information around the world.
- Some .blog domain owners are taking it to another level by creating online software that allows others to blog more easily, like micro.blog.
- Others showcase their passions, like beardy.blog’s passion for, well, facial hair.
- Others still share their expertise with the world, like califabrics.blog’s deep dives into fabric and sewing or homekit.blog’s information on the best products for your smart home.
- sherpa.blog challenges readers to think critically with information on educational webinars and igem.blog talks about our favorite topic of all: how to blog.
- Companies like fastmail.blog and amazonfiretv.blog use their domains to show off tips, tricks, and news for their customer bases.
- And we can’t forget about popular blogs like tim.blog, seths.blog, and fs.blog, all of which are doing very well and growing with their .blog domains.
As we move into our fourth year of offering .blog to the world, our goal is simple: to continue to create a unique space for bloggers on the internet by providing a quality domain extension to the blogging community.